Speech therapy deals with the study, evaluation and treatment of pathologies and disorders of voice, speech, communication, swallowing and related cognitive disorders. The speech therapist treats pathologies and disorders inherent in childhood and adulthood.
In children, the speech pathologist intervenes in all stages of language learning, starting from lalphabetization, through reading, writing, swallowing, etc., to sentence expansion.
In adults, however, it intervenes for various problems:
• Voice – problems – dysphonias
• Word – due to consequences of the Nervous System such as Stroke – trauma – pathologies degenerative etc..
• Speech fluency – reduction of verbal flow disorders, i.e. various types of stuttering
• Pronunciation – dyslalies – improving speech defects
• Swallowing – deals with recovery of damaged function due to stroke, degenerative diseases, etc..